Cengage is providing this supplemental privacy notice to give individuals in the European Economic Area (EEA) the additional information required by the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). These provisions, together with the statements in Cengage Privacy Notice explain our practices with regard to EEA personal data.
1. Information about Cengage
This information is being provided by Cengage, Inc. for itself and its subsidiaries:
20 Channel Center
Boston MA 02210
Cengage, Inc. is based in the United States. Our representative in the EEA is:
Cengage Learning (EMEA) Limited
Walworth Business Park
Registration Number: Z2487772
Contact Point for inquiries:
You can always reach the Privacy Office via email to [email protected].
2. The Purposes and Legal Basis for Processing, including Legitimate Interests
Cengage collects, uses, stores and, when necessary, transfers. We also process personal data on an occasional or ad hoc basis, when changes occur. In many cases, we collect Personal Information directly from you. We will ask you for Personal Information when you interact with us, such as registering on our websites, signing up to receive materials electronically, or making a purchase.
Cengage only processes your personal data when we have a legal basis for the processing. We will process your personal data as needed:
- Provide you with the products, content or services selected by you or your institution and for related activities, such as customer service, account management, support and training, reporting and to provide other services related to your school’s account,
- Manage our everyday business needs, such as payment processing and financial account management, contract management, website administration, business continuity and disaster recovery, security and fraud prevention, corporate governance, reporting and legal compliance.
We may also process your personal data for the purposes of our legitimate interests, provided that such processing does not outweigh your rights and freedoms. In particular, we may process your personal data as needed to:
- Protect you, us or others from threats (such as security threats or fraud) and for auditing and verifying compliance with company policies,
- Comply with the laws that are applicable to us around the world,
- Provide you with marketing communications and offers for products and services from Cengage and our partners, including personalized offers based on your usage of our products and to manage your communications preferences,
- Provide you with additional information that may be of interest, such as Cengage news and announcements, study tips for students or teacher guides for professionals,
- Administer surveys and other promotional events,
- Determine if you are eligible for certain products, services or offers, such as rebates or content guides offered to professionals and students for certain courses,
3. Automated Decision-Making and Profiling
We will not use profiling techniques or make automated-decisions about you that may significantly affect you, unless (1) the decision is necessary as part of a contract that we have with you, (2) we have your explicit consent, or (3) we are required by law to use the technology.
4. When You are Required to Provide Personal Information to Cengage
Providing personal data is necessary for us to have an employment relationship with you. In some cases, we are required by law to collect and report personal data about our employees to government agencies, such as for tax or occupational health purposes. If you have any questions about the personal data that Cengage is collecting, please contact the Privacy Office, [email protected].
5. Your Rights
Cengage respects your rights to access, correct and request erasure or restriction of your personal data as required by law. This means:
- You generally have a right to know whether or not Cengage maintains your personal data. If we do have your personal data, we will provide you with a copy (subject to the rights of others). If your information is incorrect or incomplete, you have the right to ask us to update it.
- You have the right to object to our processing of your personal data.
- You may also ask us to delete or restrict your personal data.
To exercise these rights, please contact the privacy office, [email protected]. Please understand that these rights are subject to some limitations, such as when we are processing or retaining data to comply with our own legal obligations.
If you believe that we have processed your Personal data in violation of applicable law, you may file a complaint with the Cengage Privacy Office or with a supervisory authority.
6. International Transfers
Your personal data may be transferred to, stored at or processed in a location outside the country of your employment which may not have equivalent privacy or data protection laws. However, regardless of where your personal data is transferred, we will protect it in accordance with our Privacy Notice and applicable law.
We generally use approved Standard Contractual Clauses to assure that personal data is adequately protected when it is transferred out of the European Economic Area, but we may also make transfers to recipients with approved Binding Corporate Rules or to recipients in the United States who have certified to the Privacy Shield Framework.
Please contact the Privacy Office if you would like more information about cross-border transfers or to obtain a copy of the Standard Contractual Clauses.
7. Data Retention
We will retain your personal data for as long as the information is needed for the purposes set forth in Section 3 above and for any additional period that may be required by law. You may request that we delete your personal data by contacting the Privacy Office, [email protected]. Unless we are required by law to retain your information, we will delete it within 30 days of your request.
This page updated 24 April 2018.